Thursday, October 11, 2007

"The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself" -Oscar Wilde


"Sleep when your baby sleeps." This is great advice. For someone else. I prefer to stay exhausted, or at least it seems that way as I spend the majority of Weston's sleeping time cleaning the house, making phone calls, and guiltily checking my email. As of now I am writing in a meaningless blog while he is fast asleep in his bouncy chair in front of me. I should sleep, but what used to be my favorite thing in the world (sleep!) is now a hated inconvenience. Going to bed is like stepping off an unknown cliff every night - will I have to get up two or five times tonight? I hate nights, or moreover I hate the mornings that follow them.

I have gotten a lot of good advice that I haven't been smart enough to follow in the past few months, but nothing has helped me through those exhausting early hours than April reminding me (or more like informing me) that this is only temporary. Before we would know it Weston would no longer be a little baby and I would be sleeping normal hours and this would all be a memory. This was beautiful news. It's also sad news.

I told Scott the other day t
hat our little one was growing and he would never be an infant again in all existence. This was a sad realization for me, but Scott made it all okay when he responded that he wasn't sad, because we had enjoyed every minute of it. And we have!

So tonight to celebrate our first cold evening I put Wes in his warm Tiger sleeper for the first time (which was once James') and took a few pictures because he lo
oked oh so cute.

Wes indulged me and my glorious photo session just long enough for me to get one photo with his eyes open, and then promptly fell asleep sitting up. So now it's time for me to go to sleep so I can be awake enough tomorrow to enjoy another day.


3 comments:

Cindy and Jim said...

Amber, what a sweet sentiment - that you are a sleep-deprived mom who still loves the sole reason for your sleep deprivation.

mattsonfamily@blogspot.com said...

Look at those cheeks! He's a well fed baby, so your sleeplessness is doing something!

Myra said...

he is so adorable! what a great writer you are...you said what every mom feels, but so beautifully.